How to prepare and store infant formula
It’s very important to know how to safely prepare and store infant formula, to reduce the risk of illness from bacterial growth:
- How to Prepare Ready-to-Feed Infant Formula
- How to Prepare Liquid Concentrate Infant Formula
- How to Prepare Powdered Infant Formula for Healthy, Term Infants
Storing prepared infant formula
- If several bottles have been prepared, let them cool and place them in the refrigerator.
- Use prepared bottles within 24 hours.
- Cover open cans of powdered formula with a plastic lid. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 1 month.
- Tightly cover open cans of ready-to-feed or liquid concentrate formula and put them in the refrigerator. Use within 48 hours after opening.
- Do not freeze any kind of infant formula. Freezing it changes the fat.
Preparing infant formula away from home
- Prepare infant formula, cool and place in refrigerator.
- Transport prepared formula in a cooler bag with ice packs.
- Use formula within 2 hours or place in refrigerator.
- If you’re unsure about the safety of the water where you will be visiting, use bottled water and follow the regular sterilization process.