Mental Health During COVID-19
With the disruption of daily life, financial worries and news feeds dominated by the COVID-19 pandemic comes an increased level of worry, stress and anxiety for some individuals.
There are many resources available to help you and your loved ones get through this time. Here are some articles and resources we recommend:
Supporting Mental Wellbeing
- Tip sheet: Challenging worries and anxious thoughts (Centre for Addictions and Mental Health)
- Resource Hub: Mental health and wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic (Mental Health Commission of Canada)
- Strategies to maintain your mental wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic (Centre for Addictions and Mental Health)
- Supporting mental health and wellness during the return to school: Tips for parents and families (School Mental Health Ontario)
- Tips for Supporting your Family’s Mental Wellness (Children’s Mental Health Ontario)
- You and Your Family’s Mental Health (Government of Canada)
- Mental Wellness and COVID-19 Tips and Considerations (Assembly of First Nations)
Self Care and Resiliency
- Personal Resiliency Tips During COVID-19 (School Mental Health Ontario)
- Self Care 101 (School Mental Health Ontario)
- Take Care of Yourself and Each Other (Public Health Ontario)
- Stigma and Prejudice (Centre for Addictions and Mental Health)
- Reducing Stigma (Centre for Disease Control)
- Talking to Kids About COVID-19 (Anxiety Canada)
- Talking to Your Anxious Child about COVID-19 (Children’s Mental Health Ontario)
Reaching out: School, Community and Home Supports
- From School Mental Health Ontario:
If you feel you need additional mental health and addictions support, the following resources are available in Ontario free of charge:
- ConnexOntario: Ontario’s mental health, addictions and problem gambling help line, which can provide contact information for local mental health and addictions services and supports, including crisis lines. Call 1-866-531-2600 for more information.
- Big White Wall: 24/7 anonymous online education and discussion platform for mental health support.
- Bouncebackontario.ca: Guided self-help program using workbooks, with phone coaching support. Ask your primary care provider for a referral.
- Wellness Together Canada: A platform that offers mental health and substance use support, resources, and counselling with a mental health professional.
For Children and Youth
- Jack.org: COVID-19 Response: Youth and young adult mental health resources
- Mental health services for children and youth (Ontario.ca): Find mental health services near you.
- Kids Help Phone: Contact them 24/7 from anywhere in Canada, via text , online chat or telephone (1-800-668-6868).
- Good2Talk: A free, confidential support service for post-secondary students in Ontario.