Personal Service Settings
In personal service settings, staff and clients are in close contact. The virus can spread from respiratory droplets and shared surfaces of a person with COVID-19. This is a summary of measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 while providing services. These measures are in addition to the ones in Ontario’s Roadmap to Reopen and the COVID-19 Public Health Measures and Advice.
Please note that the requirements under the Ontario Personal Service Settings Regulation136/18 apply. Also refer to Public Health Ontario: Guide to Infection Prevention and Control in Personal Service Settings.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer (ABHR) with a minimum of 60% alcohol concentration is available at each workstation, and staff and clients are encouraged to use it frequently.
- Workstations have their own products and tools and are not shared between staff.
- Persons providing services must wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Items that are not necessary for the delivery of the service are not provided (e.g. hot towels).
- Single-use items, including towels are used, where possible, and discarded immediately after each client.
- Food/beverages should not be supplied to clients at this time, unless in extraordinary circumstances (e.g. tattooing on a client who feels faint). Clients should not bring outside food or beverages into the PSS unless required for a medical condition.
- For hair salons and barber shops:
- Hair dryers can only be used if all clients and staff in the business are wearing a mask. Try to limit use of the hair dryer, especially near the face.
- A clean cape should be used for each client. Capes should be washed between clients. Where possible a single-use barrier (e.g., towel, paper neck strip) can be used to avoid direct contact between the client’s neck and the cape.
- Clean towels are used to remove cut hair. Brushes are not permitted.
- Basins, hoses, spray nozzles, faucet handles, shampoo chairs, shampoo bottles and arm rests are cleaned and disinfected between clients
- Basin area where the client rests their neck is covered with a clean towel or disposable plastic.
- Used towels are placed in a laundry bin, and disposable plastic is discarded in a garbage bin immediately after use.
- For Manicures and Pedicures:
- Clients are required to wash their hands or use ABHR before a manicure.
- Clients are not permitted to touch/handle retail supplies, such as nail polish when selecting colours.
- Nail dryers are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between each client, ensuring appropriate contact time of the disinfectant.
- For Tattoo and Body Piercing, clients are not permitted to handle stencils, ink or jewellery. A two metre/six-foot distance or a barrier/divider should be used when viewing items.
- Oxygen bars are closed.
Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection
- Work surfaces and equipment are thoroughly cleaned with soap and water before disinfection.
- Surface and equipment disinfectants are used after cleaning, and according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Cleaning/disinfection wipes are only used for surfaces and used according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Barriers and dividers must be protective and stable enough to be easily cleaned and disinfected.
- Disposable covers are discarded immediately after use. Chairs, head and armrests must be cleaned and disinfected between clients.
- Capes/gowns and towels are laundered with detergent and dried completely. Ready to use items are stored in closed cabinets or covered containers.
- Dirty towels and linens must be placed in a lined laundry bin for washing. Wash with hot water and detergent using a washing machine, on the hottest setting. Dryers should also be used at the hottest setting as the heat further kills the virus.
- Minimize shaking and disturbance of all soiled towels, sheets, uniforms, laundry, etc.
- Laundry baskets or reusable bags must be sanitized between uses and only used for dirty laundry.
- For hair salons and barber shops, hair is swept gently throughout the day, and a wet mop is used at the end of the day.