Prevention of COVID-19 in the Workplace
Employers have a responsibility to ensure that their workplaces operate in a way that minimizes risk for employees, clients and the community. The information below provides both general recommendations and sector-specific guidance for keeping workplaces safe during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- COVID-19 Guidance for Community Partners, Businesses and Service Providers – Sector-specific guidelines for the EOHU region
- Develop your COVID-19 workplace safety plan – Guide from the Government of Ontario
- Resources to prevent COVID-19 in the workplace – Sector-specific guidelines and posters from the Government of Ontario
- Ministry of Health COVID-19 Guidance: Essential Workplaces
- Preventing COVID-19 in the Workplace: Employers, employees and essential service workers
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety: COVID-19 Tip Sheets by sector
- “Stop the Spread” Business Information Telephone Line – Toll-free line for businesses who have questions about how to reopen during the COVID-19 pandemic (Government of Ontario)
- Hand Hygiene and Infection Prevention Resources
Screening Employees for COVID-19 Symptoms
Employers should screen employees for COVID-19 symptoms when they arrive at work (see sample screening form for employers, below). Employees showing symptoms must be sent home to self-isolate*. They should also be tested for COVID-19 (see What to Do If You Have Symptoms of COVID-19).
- Sample COVID-19 Screening Form for Employers*
- Order from the Medical Officer of Health for Mandatory Isolation of Certain Individuals
If an employee has symptoms which may be related to COVID-19, or has been diagnosed with COVID-19, there are steps that employers need to take. Visit Ontario's Workplace Safety Plan for details.
If you have any questions, please contact the Eastern Ontario Health Unit at 613-933-1375 or 1 800 267-7120.
* Some exclusions may apply when isolation is not in the best interest of the public (i.e. healthcare workers). These individuals should consult their employer’s occupational health and safety department for instructions.
COVID-19 Self-Assessment – Online screening tool and recommendations from Ontario's Ministry of Health