Proof of Vaccination Requirements for Businesses and Organizations
To protect the general public and employees, the Ontario government has announced that starting September 22, 2021, it will require people to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status to access certain businesses and settings.
Starting October 18, the portal opened for all individuals to download their enhanced vaccine certificate with official QR (Quick Response) code. Individuals can also call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 to have their enhanced vaccine certificate emailed or mailed to them. People can save the electronic version of their vaccine certificate with a QR code to their phone or print a paper copy.
As of January 4, 2022, the Province is requiring the use of the enhanced vaccine certificate with QR code and the Verify Ontario app in settings where proof of vaccination is required. The QR code can be used digitally or by printing a paper copy. Individuals can download their enhanced certificate with QR code by visiting https://covid-19.ontario.ca/book-vaccine.
Ontario will also strengthen the verification process for medical exemptions and clinical trial exemptions by requiring a certificate with a QR code. Organizations and businesses that are under the provincial proof-of-vaccination system will be advised to no longer accept physician notes as of January 10, 2022.
In addition, as of December 20, 2021, the Province is requiring proof of vaccination for youth aged 12 to 17 years participating in organized sports at recreational facilities.
- Proof of Vaccination Guidance for Businesses and Organizations under the Reopening Ontario Act
- Proof of vaccination questions and answers for businesses and organizations
- Ontario Taking Action to Protect Against Omicron Variant (Ministry of Health, December 10, 2021)
- Enhanced COVID-19 Vaccine Certificate with QR Code and Verify Ontario App Available for Download Starting October 15 (October 15, 2021)
- Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC): Policy statement on COVID-19 vaccine mandates and proof of vaccine certificates (September 22, 2021)
- Ontario Releasing Guidance to Support Proof of Vaccination Policy (Ministry of Health, September 14, 2021)
- Ontario to Require Proof of Vaccination in Select Settings (Ministry of Health, September 1st, 2021)