Returning to School During COVID-19: Information for Parents and Students
Frequently Asked Questions: Returning to School during COVID-19
- COVID-19 Parent Screening Tool: Should my child attend school? (Online)
The Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) continues to work with local school boards on their re-opening plans and will continue to support them in putting these plans in action.
In light of the decision that parents will make to send their school-aged child/youth to school, Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, Medical officer of Health for the EOHU, and Dr. Paula Stewart, Medical Officer of Health for the Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit (LGLDHU), have written a joint letter to parents with considerations for returning to school this September.
A letter was also shared with parents about what they can do to help keep students safe, and how public health and schools will manage any possible cases of COVID-19 at school.
Key messages from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit:
- Many children/youth will benefit from being in school in-person. It is good for their education, for their wellbeing, and for their growth and development.
- Parents and caregivers must be aware of the possible symptoms of COVID-19 and must learn how to assess their children for symptoms to permit safe attendance at school each day – to protect themselves, other children and staff.
- Further, precautions to reduce the spread of COVID-19 at school will be in place, such as cohorting (keeping groups together), increasing hand washing and hand hygiene practices, increasing the frequency of cleaning , and requiring the use of a mask (face coverings) for staff and students in grades 4 and up. Older students are more likely to be able to use masks effectively.
- The EOHU will be responsible for completing all contact tracing and follow up with any student or school staff who have tested positive for COVID-19.
For more information on your child’s school board’s return-to-school plan, please visit their website:
- Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB)
- Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario (CDSBEO)
- Conseil scolaire de district catholique de l'Est ontarien (CSDCEO)
- Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (CEPEO)
Dr. Paul Roumeliotis has also written a letter to St. Lawrence College students reminding them of local public health measures and requesting their cooperation and adherence to these guidelines as the new school year begins.