COVID-19 Management in Schools Toolkit
Updated on 2021/08/23
This toolkit is intended to be used by school boards and school staff to manage COVID-19 in a school setting. These tools also apply to childcare centres and before/after school programs that operate within schools.
School boards and schools should visit this website regularly as information and resources related to COVID-19 are updated frequently.
This toolkit includes the following:
COVID-19 School Screening Tool for Children in School and Child Care
- This provincial school screening tool is intended to be used by parents, students, employees and visitors. It provides guidance on whether or not is it advised to go to school or work, as well as next steps.
Assessing PPE Use in Schools
- This algorithm is intended to be used by school personnel to guide their use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Managing Students with COVID-19 Symptoms at School – Instructions for Staff
- Return to School Protocols For Students and Staff With COVID-19 Symptoms
- You’ve been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, now what?
- Guidance for Children/Staff who are High Risk Contacts of a Confirmed Positive COVID-19 Case
- School Protocol When Staff or Students Test Positive for COVID-19
Communication Protocol for COVID-19 Case
- Where a confirmed case of COVID-19 is a potential source of exposure to others in a school setting, the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) acts accordingly to notify those at risk of exposure. There may be variations in the delivery of notifications from case to case depending on the circumstances of the case in question. Where there is no risk of exposure, notification is not required.
- Recommendations for Schools During a COVID-19 Outbreak
- School Outbreak Poster
Back to School Confirmation Form
- While the local Health Units are not recommending or requiring medical notes for return to school/child care, parents can complete this form to attest the child is safe to return to school.
Key information and other tools
- Find a local COVID-19 Assessment Centre
- How To Care For A Child Who Needs To Self-Isolate (Public Health Ontario)
- School COVID-19 Outbreaks in the EOHU Region
- COVID-19 cases in schools and child care centres (school case statistics and details from the Ministry of Education)
- COVID-19 Guidance: School Case, Contact and Outbreak Management (Ministry of Health)