Keep Your Holidays Merry and Safe!
Getting ready to deck the halls? Before you string the lights, hang the decorations, put up the tree and pull out the candles, it’s important to keep safety in mind. Each year, hospital emergency rooms treat people for falls, cuts, electric shocks, choking incidents, burns and accidental poisonings during the holiday season. Fortunately, these injuries are preventable.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe during the holidays:
Managing holiday stress
While the holidays are supposed to be a festive time of the year, for a lot of people they can also be overwhelming. Keep your stress levels in check by making time for some physical activity. Not only is exercise a great way to unwind, it can also give you a much-needed boost of energy at this busy time of year. Going for a walk, playing outdoors with your kids, or winter activities like skating or skiing are great stress busters.
Here are some other tips:
- Try not to overcrowd your schedule. Set aside some regular time to just relax by yourself or with your family.
- Make sure to get enough sleep.
- Take the whole family out for a daily stroll to enjoy the holiday lights in your neighbourhood.
- Park further away from the store when doing your holiday shopping. It’s an easy way to work in a bit of extra walking, and can lessen the stress of trying to find a spot in a crowded parking lot (we’ve all been there!).
- Don’t skip the veggies and fruit at the party buffet. Healthy foods can help you keep your energy up, and will make you feel better too.