Well Water Testing
- Residential Well Water
- Well Water Sample Drop-Off Hours
- Businesses and Institutions Using Well Water
As of October 30th and until further notice, the EOHU will only accept well water samples for testing at its Casselman, Cornwall and Hawkesbury offices.
Residential Well Water
The Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) offers free water testing to private households that draw their drinking water from a well. If your drinking water comes from a private well, you are responsible for ensuring the drinking safety (potability) of your water. Test your well water for coliform bacteria and E-coli:
- every 4 months (3 times a year)
- if you suspect a waterborne illness
- if you notice a change in colour, odour or taste
The test is free. You can pick up a water sample bottle at the EOHU (water samples submitted in other containers will not be tested at the public health lab). You can return it to the EOHU office nearest you according to the schedule below.
Water is tested for bacteria only. People who wish to test their water for the presence of other substances like chemicals or minerals need to send their sample to a private lab.
Well Water Sample Drop-Off Hours
872 Principale St.
Monday to Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
1000 Pitt St.
Monday to Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
134 Main Street East, Suite 301
8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Well water samples cannot be accepted on Fridays.
- Well water samples cannot be accepted on the day preceding a statutory holiday (e.g. if Friday is a statutory holiday, samples cannot be accepted the Thursday before).
Businesses and Institutions Using Well Water
Businesses and institutions such as restaurants, schools, daycares, lodging homes, campgrounds and trailer parks that are on well water are responsible for ensuring a safe water supply for their guests and customers. These places are required to take water samples on a monthly basis, and the results must be available for review by the EOHU.