Public Pools and Spas
In accordance with the Ontario Regulation 494/17 – Amending Reg. 565 of R.R.O. 1990 (PUBLIC POOLS), all owner/operators of public pools or spas are required to notify the Medical Officer of Health or Public Health Inspector at the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) at least 14 days before opening a new pool/spa or re-opening a closed pool/spa if the closure was for longer than 4 weeks. This is applicable to seasonal public pools, and to all public pools/spas when closed for any reason. IMPORTANT NOTE: The pool or spa cannot be opened or re-opened until permission has been obtained in writing from the Medical Officer of Health or Public Health Inspector at the EOHU.
An operator who wishes to open or re-open a public pool or spa is required to provide the following information to the Medical Officer of Health or Public Health Inspector at the EOHU:
- Date the pool/spa is intended to open or re-open
- Name and address of the facility/business/operator
- Indication of whether it is a class A or B pool (swimming pools only)
- Building permit number (new facilities only)
- Confirmation that all the preparations necessary to operate the pool or spa in accordance with the above Regulation have been completed
This information can be submitted using any of the following methods:
- Complete and submit the Notice of Intent to Open or Re-Open a Public Pool or Spa – Online Form.
- Download and complete the Notice of Intent to Open or Re-Open a Public Pool or Spa – PDF Form. The completed PDF form can be submitted to the EOHU:
- By email: email@example.com
- By fax: 613-933-7930
- By mail: Eastern Ontario Health Unit, 1000 Pitt Street, Cornwall, Ontario K6J 5T1
For more information: