Opening a Food Premises
In accordance with the Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises – Section 5, all food premises are required to notify the Medical Officer of Health at the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (EOHU) of their operation.
Any person who wishes to open a food premises operation is required to complete and submit a Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises form.
Use any of the following methods:
- Complete and submit the Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises – Online Form.
- Download and complete the Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises – PDF Form. The completed PDF form can be submitted to the EOHU:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax: 613-933-7930
- By mail: Eastern Ontario Health Unit, 1000 Pitt Street, Cornwall, Ontario K6J 5T1
IMPORTANT NOTE: Under the Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises:
- Food premises are subject to inspections, which are made available to the public and which must be posted on the food premises site in accordance with the inspector’s request.
- Food premises are also required to have a trained food handler on site at all times. For information on training, see the EOHU’s Food Handler Certification Program.
For more information:
Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises
Health Protection and Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.7 – Subsection 16(2) Food Premise
Guide to Starting a Home-based Food Business